Greetings, fellow developers on the lists,

My scientific cocoa app (10.6-10.8) records acquired data from devices and
store them in human-readable UTF8 text files that have specific extensions
(different from .txt). I have two questions related to file extensions, default
application, icons and preview in quick look to submit to your expertise.

The app that collects and stores the data is not the same as the one that is
used to view the data (third-party text editor).
I have found how to tell launch services to open the files with the third-party
text editor, but I can't find how to associate the icon of my app with all the
files extensions I use. How can I do that using cocoa or a shell script ? –
this is my first question.

Secondly, how can I tell quick look to preview the-said files just like it
would any other text file ?

Best regards,
Jean