On Nov 5, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Nick Rogers <roger...@mac.com> wrote:

> I am assigned this small utility which should clear inactive RAM.
> I know Mac OS X manages memory quite efficiently and inactive RAM also has a
> purpose.
> But I have to make this.

What on earth does “clear inactive RAM” mean? No offense, but whoever assigned
you that task doesn’t seem to have any idea of how a modern virtual memory
system works. What do they want this utility to accomplish?

Regardless, this isn’t the right list for such a question. There aren’t
Cocoa/Obj-C APIs for anything that low level, so if you want to mess with
paging and swap files and virtual memory, you’ll need to use POSIX or Mach
functions. Try the “darwin-userlevel” list.

—Jens