On Nov 6, 2012, at 3:01 AM, Nick Rogers <roger...@mac.com> wrote:

> I was trying to achieve what essentially "free memory" apps on the Mac
> AppStore do.

Those apps are useless, except as revenue generators for their authors.

> When I used my earlier app to allocate memory equal to free + inactive bytes,
> for the execution of the program it used to make the system less responsive
> for a few seconds and on release and quitting the app, most of the inactive
> memory would shift under free.

That doesn’t serve any useful purpose (it just slows down the OS), _unless_ you
are trying to profile a cold launch of an app at system startup, i.e. see how
your app performs when none of its code or data are possibly still cached. And
in that case the ‘purge’ command will do the job.

—Jens