This depends on the virtualization technology in question:
http://www.meetup.com/CocoaHeads-Stockholm/messages/boards/thread/26497882
-and-
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1009458
...the assumptions of which can each be their own moving targets (pardon the
off-topic, but generically relevant, Windows reference):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1370586/detect-if-windows-is-running-from-within-parallels

Is there a more specific reason/goal, which might yield a more reliable and
lasting testing method than trying to deduce a vm environment, generally?

Thanks,
-Matt