On May 2, 2013, at 9:56 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> This shouldn't happen. It's a bad thing when it does. So the system is
> designed to prevent you from causing it to happen.
>
> Please don't try to give your users a "Ruin My Hardware" checkbox.

The question is whether running the CPU while the lid is shut will overheat the
system. Overheating will very definitely damage the hardware — in particular,
heat-related GPU failures have been very common on some MBP models. (The
temperature sensor is supposed to cut power before this point, but apparently
it doesn't always.)

I know that older Mac laptops could run with the lid closed, so that you could
use them with an external display without using the internal screen. However,
those laptops had more ventilation. With the current one-piece aluminum chassis
the only ventilation is through the vents parallel to the screen hinge, and
with the lid shut it seems like those would be mostly blocked.

Once or twice I've had a unibody Macbook Pro fail to go to sleep when I tucked
it into my backpack, and it's come out quite hot, as in the bottom plate was
almost painful to touch. That definitely does not seem good for it.

—Jens