After using the amazing Reveal app, I got this screenshot of my hieararchy:

        http://cl.ly/image/2I0P1Y370S0B

It doesn't show constraints, AFAICT, so I'm still having to manually inspect
each one (something IB really sucks at), and trying to see if there's an
obvious incorrect one. But you can see from the screenshot that the top toolbar
is being forced to grow larger vertically, and so the buttons are staying in
the center, but the background image doesn't grow.