On 25 Jul 2013, at 2:56 AM, Vincent Habchi <vi...@macports.org> wrote:

> While I agree with you, I think it is also essential to keep a thread open to
> sort of discharge the overflow of emotional frustration – we’re not Vulcans!
> :) I admit it is an off-topic and maybe off-color and whatever-off-you-like
> thread, but it acts as a safety valve and helps people overcome this
> unexpected downtime. And since, as you clearly state, this list is one of the
> few remaining open media…

Without meaning to deprecate your character: Sorry, no. Being angry and
frustrated is not a license to commandeer others' space and energy in any forum
one chooses.

The rest of this message is not directed at you.

Those of us who have been on the net for 30+ years have seen valuable, even
beloved, fora die as the essential contributors decide they have better uses
for their energy than sorting through (often unpleasant) noise. I'm not saying
it's nearly that bad yet, but we're sensitive to anything that points in that
direction.

Me, I'm inclined to give this subject a _little_ slack. The messages explaining
how difficult Apple's task is were valuable to me.

But if it's a matter of personal feelings, "venting," I pray that people have
friends and lovers who have a personal stake in them, and can be supportive in
such moments. Nobody ever subscribed to a technical mailing list to be a
shoulder for strangers to cry on.

        — F