So apparently the page control is entirely transparent by default. Try adding
this to your app delegate's didFinishLaunching... method:

UIPageControl * pageControl = [UIPageControl appearance];
pageControl.pageIndicatorTintColor = [UIColor lightGrayColor];
pageControl.currentPageIndicatorTintColor = [UIColor darkGrayColor];
pageControl.backgroundColor = [UIColor clearColor];

This will apply a default customization to every page control in your app. The
other way to apply non-transparent colors is to loop through all the sub-views
of your UIPageViewController's view and look for the one who's kindOfClass is
[UIPageControl class] and set whatever colors you want on it. This *might* be a
gray area in terms of using undocumented API though.

-Noah