I’m confused. If you select a NSTextView item in IB, then examine the
Attributes Inspector, you’re presented with various options for setting text
attributes, such as the font, size and color. In my clumsy hands, none of these
work. The text entry always defaults to Helvetica 12.0 in standard black.
Specifically for what I’m trying to accomplish, the text view always convert
the quotation characters  " " to “ ” when the user types in the text view,
which totally messes up the functionality of my app. Turning on the Field
Editor does stop the conversion, but then restricts me to a single cell/line.
How do I stop this automatic re-formatting but retain the ability to enter line
breaks?

I’d have thought that setting the default options for a text view was a fairly
common need, yet searches have only pointed me to one or two posts that discuss
this problem, the most useful (but still not detailed enough for my current
understanding) goes back to 2006 here:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/160492-setting-the-default-font-of-an-nstextview.html

So I’m now deep (have been for most of the day) into numerous Apple
documentation items (always a frustrating experience, since they are inevitably
heavy on describing the wonderous possibilities of Cocoa and referencing a
thousand other “Don’t miss...” documents while depressingly light on
demonstrative details. Still, I digress…). Undoubtedly both a rite of passage
and a useful extension to my learning, but it seems bizarre to me that
something as basic as setting the default font attributes in a text view and
avoiding automatic conversions should require heavy coding. I could do this in
C with a blindfold on, but in Cocoa, I feel like I’m in a galaxy-wide void with
only half a candle to light my way.

Any enlightenment hugely appreciated.

Best

Phil