On 12 Nov, 2013, at 10:26 pm, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Is this just one of those cases where you have to judge the best approach, or
> is there a better way to determine when to pass YES or NO?
>
> Currently, I generally pass NO, and my worker threads are not updating the
> progress too often anyway - I mod the count so that it only updates every 50
> or 100 iterations. The UI seems to keep up fine. What do others do?

The only case I regularly block and wait for a thread is with CoreData where I
very often use performBlockAndWait: because I've had some issues threading
CoreData and this does give a bit more defined operation. I don't do it from
the main thread. Core data I find particularly tricky especially when I have
notifications of saves getting tossed around to other queues, so I try to
synchronize it more than other subsystems.

For everything else I pass no or use dispatch_async() and attempt to code one
subsystem per thread/dispatch_queue/operation queue. If you separate them like
that, they tend not to fall over each other and just process as fast as they
feel like going. If they do fall over each other, your subsystem was often not
as sub- as you thought it was.