On 2013 Nov 14, at 08:01, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Grrr.

OK, a couple really wild ideas.  I don’t know whether or not you’re working
with NS Persistent Document, Core Data.

You know that when NSPersistentDocument reverts, it closes and releases all
document windows and creates new ones.  But plain NSDocument does not.

So you could try overriding document revert.  If your document is *not* Core
Data, invoke super on a secondary thread.  If your document *is* Core Data,
don’t invoke super.  Instead, close the document and re-open the prior one.
The user experience will be no more ugly than in any other Core Data app.

Now, you’re probably thinking that either of these ideas will either crash
immediately, or cause huge headaches and latent bugs.  I agree.  But since
you’re already into the muck of customizing NSDocument, maybe you’re game for
it, or maybe you’ll learn something useful.