On Jan 13, 2014, at 1:40 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, SecKey{Encrypt,Decrypt} are not available on OS X.

Oh crap, is this thread about OS X? I misremembered it as being iOS. Sorry!

<rant>
Yeah, Apple’s security/crypto APIs are completely f**ed up and have been for
years. The old APIs were horrible to figure out and use but worked; then on iOS
they replaced them with new APIs that looked clearer but were actually just as
complicated and didn’t work right; then they started deprecating the old OS X
APIs in favor of the iOS-derived ones; and now they’re basically doing nothing,
since none of the problems introduced in 10.7 have been addressed since.

I’m not in favor of using libcrypto, but at least its API is fairly complete,
mostly stable, and not too hard to figure out. :-p

(I used to say that crypto and audio were the nastiest things to code on Apple
platforms. But audio’s gotten a lot better, with APIs like AVFoundation, and is
actually pretty fun to use now. It’s just crypto that sucks.)
</rant>

—Jens