On Jan 18, 2014, at 5:58 PM, Gideon King <gid...@novamind.com> wrote:

> We have the seemingly impossible situation where the text is drawn in a font
> face that is not in the list returned by [UIFont familyNames].

Fonts with names prefixed with a "." or "%" are hidden from the higher-level
APIs for listing fonts. It's been that way since the dawn of time (i.e. since
the original Mac in 1984.) I'm not sure why iOS 7 has a separate hidden copy of
Helvetica Neue that's used for the UI, though.

If you want to look up these fonts, you'll probably need to drop down to the
CoreText API. But in general, I think it's fine to just not check any font name
in your UI in this situation.

—Jens