On 29 Mar 2014, at 00:55, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

>>> Apple has frequently advised people _not_ to link directly against
>>> system libraries included on the OS, such as libssl and libxml2, as
>>> these are included with the operating system in support of other
>>> technologies such as Security.framework and NSXMLDocument.
>>
>> Forgive me if my memory is faulty here, but isn't Chris Hanson an Apple
>> employee himself?
>
> Yes, Chris is an Apple employee, but he is not every Apple employee. I'm
> pointing out that we've received conflicting guidance, and our apps have
> been broken by upgrades to system-bundled third-party libraries in the
> past.

There’s actually a very sensible answer to this. Apple want system API to be
stable, just like we do. They have included various open source and/or
third-party libraries in the OS. So, in general, if the OS comes with a library
like that, you should use it. It saves disk space, it ensures you get the
newest security updates and you link against code that is optimized for
whatever hardware you’re currently running on.

However, there have been cases where the upstream developers of such
third-party libraries did not share Apple’s commitment to binary stability, or
whatever Apple developer added the library wasn’t aware they intended their
library to be a source-only distribution and were thus not aware someone relied
on it remaining binary stable. The prime example of this is libssl. Therefore,
Apple have had to deprecate some libraries and recommended a replacement for
them.

So, both are correct: Chris for the general case, and particularly the OP’s
question of SQLite, Kyle for the cases he lists.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
“The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...”
http://zathras.de