On Apr 19, 2014, at 1:30 AM, Eric Shepherd wrote:

> I only add the toolbar once; after that it's toggling visibility status.
> I'm just initially adding the toolbar programmatically instead of in the
> nib because I ran into some problems doing that in my Cocoa/Carbon hybrid
> app.

Some more possibilities:

* Try calling -frameRectForContentRect: to see if that forces the window to
recompute how its frame is affected by the toolbar.

* Try setting the window's style mask with -setStyleMask:.  I know from past
experience that that basically rebuilds the private theme frame view hierarchy
from scratch.  Try both resetting to its current style mask and changing it to
something else and back.

* Try setting the window's frame using -setFrame:display:.  Again, try setting
it to its current value vs. changing it and then back.

* You already suggested that this will work: try toggling the toolbar to hidden
and then showing again.

You may be able to avoid distracting visuals by disabling screen updates,
either with -disableFlushWindow/-enableFlushWindow,
-disableScreenUpdatesUntilFlush, or
NSDisableScreenUpdates()/NSEnableScreenUpdates().

Regards,
Ken