From: "Alex Kac" <a...@webis.net>
To: "SevenBits" <sevenbitst...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Cocoa-Dev" <Cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:42:48 PM
Subject: Re: Simple question? NSButton/checkbox color

OK maybe I’m not being clear. We need to have a checkbox that can be colored,
exactly the same way that the Calendar app on both color their checkboxes for
the calendar they are representing. Right now the only way I can think of doing
that is to create a checkbox image, and color it, and use that. Obviously if we
do that, we have to have different images for Mavericks and Yosemite. So we
have to mimic Yosemite.

I’d prefer NOT to have to create mimicked checkbox images. That’s what I’m
trying to prevent. I’m asking all the AppKit gurus here if there is a better
way, a more proper way, to color a checkbox control without having to use
images to mimic the UI of the OS we’re running on.

On Jun 5, 2014, at 6:38 PM, SevenBits <sevenbitst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:32 PM, Alex Kac <a...@webis.net> wrote:
>
>> I’m still learning AppKit after many years on iOS :)
>>
>> Given an NSButton based checkbox…what’s the best way to get a colored check?
>> I think we’re just going to have to use a custom image that we create -
>> which is fine just annoying as we’ll also have to match Yosemite - but if
>> there is a better way, I’m all for it.
>
> Why mimic Yosemite? Just use the pre-Yosemite look on < 10.10, and the
> Yosemite theme on >= 10.10.
>
> It’ll be great to have this new interface be implemented as an NSAppearance,
> so our apps that use custom drawing can fall back on a legacy appearance if
> the Yosemite look is not supported yet. Anyone know how this new-UI issue
> will be handled? Without breaking NDA, could someone indicate if this is like
> iOS 7, where the interface you get depends on the toolkit you link against.

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc.

“Don't forget until too late that the business of life is not business but
living.”
-- B.C. Forbes,

This email sent to lruc...@vmware.com