(I know this technically isn't about Cocoa APIs, but cocoa-dev still seems like
the most appropriate list. I suspect a lot of app developers don't read
darwin-userlevel.)

Those of you with Mac apps that do geo-querying using SQLite may be interested
to know that your queries probably broke in Yosemite DP7. In that build, Apple
upgraded SQLite to version 3.8.5, which has a regression[1] in the r-tree
implementation that causes queries using joins to fail to return data. I have a
brief test[2] that shows the problem.

Essentially, if you have a table created with "CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE … USING
rtree" and then query that table's x/y coords and use its primary key to join
to another table (which is the most common way to do geo-querying) you'll
probably get an empty result set instead of the data you wanted.

I've filed a bug report with Apple, rdar://18247755 <rdar://18247755>, asking
them to update to SQLite 3.8.6 which fixes the regression. But it's iffy
whether they'll update SQLite so late in the release cycle. If geo-queries are
important to your apps, you might want to vote by filing your own dups and
referencing my Radar.

(As of DP6, iOS 8 didn't have the buggy SQLite. I haven't yet had a chance to
test with the GM candidate that was released this week, but it's obviously too
late for Apple to fix it there.)

—Jens

[1]: http://www.sqlite.org/src/tktview?name=d2889096e7
<http://www.sqlite.org/src/tktview?name=d2889096e7>