> That's an interesting suggestion.
>
> (...)  I don't see anything specifically about GPU switches, but there are
> plenty of functions that can reconfigure a display using the window server. I
> can imagine some of them might be used by NSVisualEffectView.

To exclude the fact it could be linked to a GPU switch or not, you can
try following
- use the gfxCardStatus tool to verify if your app effectively changes
the GPU when it starts
- force a GPU switch before launching your app (with aforementioned
tool, or by launching iPhoto before launching your app), then only
launch your application and see if the same delegate method is still
called. If not, you have your culprit...

--
Stéphane