> On 5 Mar 2015, at 2:59 pm, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
> Subclass NSScroller and override +isCompatibleWithOverlayScrollers to
> return NO. Then assign an instance of this subclass via
> -setHorizontalScroller:.

OK, somewhat long-winded, but I'll give it a go.

However, I can see another issue. What if I want the overlay style of scroller,
but always visible? Maybe that isn't even possible? When I use System
Preferences to always show, the scroller has an opaque background and border.
It's not the appearance of the overlay scroller I mind, or am objecting to,
it's its transient behaviour that makes it hard to grab the thumb. I guess I
really want an overlay scroller but that stays put. I'm presuming that the
workaround you mention will always give me an old-school scrollbar.

My use-case might be rather specific to a set of particular circumstances.

First, the view in question is very wide, but not often all that tall, meaning
that horizontal scrolling and skimming with the thumb is often desirable.

Second, my mouse isn't an Apple mouse, and it only has a vertical scroll wheel,
not a dual-axis scroller. That means that for this wide scrollview, the
scrollwheel isn't too useful, so I'm falling back to grabbing the thumb.
However, the transient scrollbars make it hard to grab, and the vertical
scrollwheel makes it hard to force the scrollbars to show without resorting to
either shift-scrolling with the scrollwheel, or using the accessory trackpad
with my other hand.

The usual situation is that I have wide scrollview with no vertical scroll
available. With my particular mouse, there's no way with a single hand on my
mouse to show the thumb and scroll the view horizontally; I have to use my
other hand either to press shift or to hit the trackpad. In other words,
one-handed skimming of my wide view is impossible with this mouse and the
default system settings. Maybe Apple don't care about using 3rd party input
devices? Maybe I shouldn't care, it's unlikely to affect my app's users, but it
sure is affecting me.

--Graham