> On 21 May 2015, at 10:38 am, Britt Durbrow
> <bdurb...@rattlesnakehillsoftworks.com> wrote:
>
> Also, generally speaking, I don’t want to have to go back to a manual
> retain/release model for the whole app (which is basically what using
> NSDiscardableContent entails; even though it isn’t literal -retain and
> -release calls; the pitfalls are similar).

The thing is that the concept of reference counting *in general* is a good fit
for your problem. The difficulty is that leveraging the particular ref counting
done by retain/release, while tempting, is not such a good fit. Ergo, you have
to implement something equivalent alongside it. There ain’t no such thing as a
free lunch.

--Graham