On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:45:00 -0800
> From: Scott Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: how should log levels work? [Was Re: [Logging] default log
>     level]
>
> Does this also remove the isInfoEnabled and isDebugEnabled?

Please do *not* consider removing these.  They are for performance
optimization.  Consider:

  if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
    log.debug("Big " + "long " + "string " + "with " +
              "lots " + "of " + "concatenations");
  }

You definitely do *not* want to waste the time to do all the string
manipulations if the message is not going to be logged anyway.

I'm OK on removing setLevel(), but do not see a problem with getLevel().
Could someone expand on what concerns this might raise?

Craig