In order to make this more applet friendly, I'm suggesting the following
changes.

jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging/LogSource.java

Referred to date: 1/5/2002
Starting at line: 149

    String name =
        System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.log");

    String name = null ;
    try {
        name = System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.log");
    } catch ( Throwable t ) { }

Anthony

The materials of action are variable,
but the use we make of them should be constant.
-Epictetus (circa 60 A.D.), translated by Thomas Wentworth Higginson