On 2/1/02 4:00 PM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paulo Gaspar wrote:
>> So, I agree with Peter: the commons will get too big and has a
>> too loose structure to control things like this (which is still
>> not the case with Avalon).
>>
>> I am not sure about how strictly one should regulate that, but
>> maybe it is necessary.
>
> I think the only recourse then is to propose the Commons as a top-level
> ASF project.

That's the *only* recourse?

Why not just use conventional voting rules : if a person wants to work on a
component, they get committer status in the regular, tried and tested
way...?

> As it stands, in a Jakarta subproject a Committer is a Committer, and I
> don't know if we want to get away from that.

Why not?  State a reason.

> Many other people think that a Jakarta Committer should be a Jakarta
> Committer, so if Velocity broke Turbine, then Turbine could veto the
> change.

No thanks.  That would mean that I could lead another project off a cliff
with creative uses of their released code, vetoing them fixing the side
effects, and forcing them to keep me happy.

> But I think few people would want to move in the other direction, where
> you had to be voted into each package for a subproject.

Why not?  We just did that in Velocity with the new -tools subproject, which
gives people with that specific interest and expertise a chance to
participate and contribute.  Seems to be a plus to me...

Doesn't avalon also compartmentalize the project?

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting