The original idea of adding your name to the STATUS files was just to
help keep track of who was working on what. Not because of voting or
anything, but so people who know who to ping without digging through the
combined CVS or GREPing for @authors.

But the same thing could be accomplished by documenting the
participating developer's name on the Web site. Here's a nice convention
(scroll to bottom):

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/dbtags-doc/intro.html

But there is nothing in the current charter that implies you have to be
in the STATUS file to vote.

Scott Sanders wrote:

> +1. Let's just drop the status file.  I believe that Ted mentioned that
> in my proposal for the update to the charter, which has now been deluged
> by this thread...
>
> Scott

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.