On 2/3/02 3:00 PM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
>> I think it comes to trusting someone in a specific domain of expertise.  For
>> other jakarta projects (generally speaking) it is my impression that people
>> are committers because of expertise in areas related to that specific
>> project and are trusted by others *in that specific project* (or some aspect
>> of it for the larger ones.)
>
> It's my feeling that we have to trust each other's judgment, including
> knowing the limits of their own abilities.
>
> We must start from the premise that committers are sane, mature,
> reasonable human beings, and were elected into a subproject because they
> have proven their ability to communicate and collaborate.
>
> And, what's the woof? CVS never forgets.
>
> Personally, I think it is a total waste of bandwidth to debate
> hypotheticals. This is not a law school. It's a community of programmers
> trying to get some programming done. Let's proceed with the tasks at
> hand and solve actual problems when they actually occur.

Ok.  Good idea. (Although I am stunned that you see this as a 'legal'
discussion and hypothetical since its based on something that *actually*
*happened*.)

Without resorting to legal reasons, and actually going into the
hypothetical, why wouldn't we let Bryan into the sandbox to pursue Simper
with other Commons committers?

It's not only something written in Java, it's also a server-side project,
which used to be the charter for Jakarta...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting