On 2/3/02 10:16 PM, "Sam Ruby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson wrote:
>>
>> Care to take that to the logical conclusion?
>>
>> PROPOSAL : Grant CVS read/write to anyone subscribed to the mail list.
>> and the community time for voting.  After all, any list subscriber is a
>> community participant at that point.
>
> Geir, how can you get out of bed in the mornings?
>
> I mean, there is a small but finite chance that you will get run over by a
> car, have a paper cut, or simply stub your toe.  Take that to the logical
> conclusion....

I do.  Every day : "There is a small but finite chance..."  I can weigh the
odds and make a choice, as negative consequences of not getting out of bed
have much higher probability.

So I risk my toe.

Doesn't take higher math for that one...

> If you overanalyze it, capitalism can't work.  Nor can democracy.  Nor can
> open source.

I'm not sure about that.

> Let's stop taking things to illogical conclusions, OK?

Of course.  The proposal was clearly facetious (why else would I veto my own
proposal...)  So the solution isn't that.

Nor is it punting when faced with an issue.

We have the ability to affect change on this thing I believe is a problem.
(One answer is "It's not a problem" I suppose...)

The only answers I hear are "Things are fine" or "Tomorrow..." or "That's
prevented by the rules".

I know it's hypothetical, and has been ruled to be a waste of bandwidth, but
what about the "log4j crew" vs "logkit crew" in the the "everyone gets to
vote irrespective of contribution" model?  Maybe it's a subject for offline
discussion...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting