----- Original Message -----
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
"Morgan Delagrange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 7:16 AM
Subject: RE: Problems with commons-logging

> Morgan,
>

> It looks like your reading of my posts is as incomplete as Tim's.
> I am going to quote myself a bit from a posting in this thread
> some days ago:

I was agreeing with Tim's assertions, not disagreeing with posts you made
last week.

>  (3) There is a class-loader based implementation for the logger
>      factory (2) that tries to find out which API is available. This
>      is not good for some applications but is quite practical for
>      others and IMHO should be available.
>       - You can configure via API what are your most favorite and
>         less favorite logging APIs and the discovery process will
>         follow that order;

This sounds like a good feature.  Note that it is configuration for the
logging abstration, with which I have no issue.  I don't agree with
configuring the underlying logging engine.

>       - You can set a "minimum common denominator" configuration
>         that works for any of the APIs available (e.g.: all the big
>         3 accept logging to a file with rotating file names).
>
> See? The essential of the idea is to be able to configure which is
> the most favorite and less favorite logger and tell it to log to a
> file with a given name.

The former sounds fine, but I don't think that a default log file is a good
idea.  To use Log4J as an example, what happens if there is a
log4j.properties in the classpath.  Which is ignored, the log4j.properties
configuration?  Why?  Why not?  Or do you add an additional appender
specifically for the logger abstraction?  What if it happens to point to the
same file as one of the Log4J appenders?  I think we're better off just
avoiding these issues, at least initially.

> Velocity (the "component" I know better) is much easier to use
> because it does something like this.
>
> Even the guys that do not really know what logging is and how it
> works, get the advantage of Velocity logging with minimal trouble.
> Most of them do not even now how it got there but still use it to
> understand to debug their templates.

Providing default logging configurations makes more sense for an integrated
system like Velocity than it does for component development.  It's quite
likely that the environment that uses these components already has its own
logging configuration.

> Have fun,
> Paulo Gaspar

Bank.