On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Juozas Baliuka wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:12:36 +0100
> From: Juozas Baliuka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: commons dbcp or pool problems
>
> Hi,
> >

> > > Does the pool you are working on work with JDK1.4 and 1.3?
> > >

> > This is a nasty issue, due to the changes in java.sql.Connection in 1.4.
> > Basically, it's not possible to write a single implementation of
> > Connection that compiles under both 1.3 and 1.4.
> >
> > The current implementation compiles under 1.3, and runs under either (as
> > long as you don't try to call the new methods.  We'll need to come up with
> > a creative strategy to compile an alternative Connection implementation
> > class under 1.4.
> >
> > > Aaron
> >
> > Craig
> I see only one possible solution : to have two tagets in ant script, one for
> jdk1.3 and for 1.4,
> conditional compling  is not very nice solution, but I see no choises.

Doing the conditional compilation part is pretty straightforward.  We'll
also want to make the DBCP runtimes smart about which implementation class
it uses for Connections based on what JVM the application is running in,
without requiring the application itself to configure things any
differently.

Also, whoever builds a DBCP distribution bundle needs to make sure they
run both compilers, so that both implementation classes are available in
the JAR file ...

Craig