----- Original Message -----
From: "James Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: [COLLECTIONS] [VOTE] Release Collections 2.0

> [snip]
>
> I just thought Morgan was thinking of removing the reflection code and
just
> using Object[] instead and just wanted to explain why the reflection was
> needed - though I think I got the wrong end of the stick and Morgan was
> really just talking about tuning the Object[] use case while still
> supporting reflection for non-Object[] types.
>
> Sorry for the confusion everyone...

No problem.  I already patched ArrayIterator.next(), but I decided not to
apply it:

        // don't use reflection for Object arrays
        if (array instanceof Object[]) {
            return ((Object[]) array)[index++];
        }

        // use reflection for primitive arrays
        return Array.get( array, index++ );

It works fine, but it seems like premature optimization now.  I can't tell
for sure (Array.get(Object,int) is a native method), but surely the
Collections method performs the same optimization internally.  Anything else
seems silly.

- Morgan