on 3/22/02 9:46 PM, "Jeff Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Would you be happy (ie, would it build on your system) if we applied the
> patch with the following modifications?
>
> 1) Source ${basedir}/build.properties before
> ${user.home}/build.properties
>
> Many people have a ~/build.properties with default values, which only
> needs to be overridden by ./build.properties for unusual cases. Changing
> the order breaks these people's setups. So I'm proposing that the order
> be:
>
> <property file="${basedir}/build.properties" />
> <property file="${user.home}/beanutils.build.properties" />
> <property file="${user.home}/build.properties" />
> <property file="${basedir}/default.properties" />

-1. The order that I have it in is done on purpose and has worked well for a
long time for Scarab, Turbine, Lucene, etc. The point is that the
~/build.properties is like a globally defined set of props.

I don't see how changing the order would break people's setups.

> 2) Not delete build.properties.sample. Ie, defaults.properties will
> default the values to ${lib.repo}/.., but people without a jar
> repository can still 'cp build.properties.sample build.properties' and
> have things working.

-1

If anything you should do:

cp default.properties build.properties

> I quite like the defaults.properties idea. Keeps build.xml clean, and
> you don't lose your place in build.xml when looking up the value of a
> property.

The whole point is that you don't have to look at build.xml to change
properties. Much like you shouldn't have to look at a ./configure script.

> If we're all happy with this, the change should be done to all projects,
> not just beanutils (yes I volunteer).

I have already started doing that for all of the projects that Scarab has a
dependency on (which is quite a lot of projects at this point...31 .jar
files)...

./activation-1.0.1.jar
./commons-beanutils.jar
./commons-codec-1.0-dev.jar