OK then, let's see what happens:

I PROPOSE that the classes in commons logging be rearranged as follows:

no change:
   org.apache.commons.logging.Log
   org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Loger.java
   org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.java
   org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger.java
   org.apache.commons.logging.impl.NoOpLog.java
   org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog.java

rename package, and add JavaDoc to explain or confuse as appropriate:
   org.apache.commons.logging.factory.LogFactory
   org.apache.commons.logging.factory.LogSource  (deprecate?)
   org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.LogFactoryImpl
   org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.LogConfigurationException
   org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.Log4jFactoryImpl

Justification:

1. Provide a logging interface independent of (or
   at least disassociated from) factory or other framework.

2. Make changes NOW before someone else invents yet another logging
   interface to accomplish this "goal".

Cons:

1.  Requires changes to user's code (minimal?).

Alternatives:

1. Leave as-is
2. use o.a.c.logFactory.* instead of o.a.c.l.factory, to further
   distinguish/confuse.

<ras>
[Dang, where IS that ring when you need it!?!?!]

<ps>
If this exchange were by paper-mail, I'd be investing in more than one
logging enterprise...
</ps>

Richard A. Sitze            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CORBA Interoperability & WebServices
IBM WebSphere Development

                      "Geir Magnusson

                      Jr."                     To:      Jakarta Commons Developers
List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      <geirm@optonline         cc:

                      .net>                    Subject: Re: [logging]  Need
interface...

                      04/04/2002 03:09

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Jakarta

                      Commons

                      Developers List"

On 4/4/02 11:30 AM, "Richard Sitze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think we are circling around the same point.

Maybe.

> I don't see the value of the interface w/o framework as-per your comments
> below.  You CANNOT use the interface for "totally generic code" without
> forcing a framework into the code also... SOMETHING has to attach an
> implementation to the logger, via pull (factory) or push (external
> dependencies) model.  So, you are going to be subscribing to one or the
> other.

And SOMETHING has to be there anyway to use the
component/class/package/module that uses o.a.c.l, right?  I just don't want
to be told exactly what has to be there...

> On the other hand, we could do a bit of disassociation here:  move the
> factory and other elements of the "framework" into a separate package,
and
> introduce a new package for the push model:
>
>     org.apache.commons.logging.pull
>     org.apache.commons.logging.push
>
> (and no, I wouldn't vote for these for final names :-)

Nor would I.

I would hope though that in o.a.c.l lives the basic interfaces...

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>