On 4/30/02 5:09 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>> one jakarta project ( with an aproved plan of release ) shouldn't
>>> even need a vote to get into common proper and be released.
>>
>> Now, suppose I didn't like that outcome, and did a logger copy with some
>> slight change, and called it TheLogger.  According to your suggestion, I
>> could incorporate in Velocity or make available as a component in Turbine,
>> drop into sandbox, and keep moving it right through to Commons.
>
> Nothing can stop you from writing TheLogger - except other Turbine or
> Velocity commiters who may -1 it.
>
> If the Turbine/Velocity community believes it is indeed needed and
> benefical for them to create another logger - and this becomes a
> part of the release, then I think it doesn't matter too much if you
> release it as a component of Turbine or commons.

Except I think that the committers of Commons should have the say in what
happens in their community, rather than letting another subproject decide
for them.

> And if you think other projects may be interested and use TheLogger,
> I think it is perfectly justified to have it in commons. It won't
> be called commons-logging ( you need another name ), and it won't
> replace commons-logging. But Velocity can continue to use whatever
> logger they choose.

I think you are missing my point....

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting