On Wed, 1 May 2002 18:50:40 -0400, "Sam Ruby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> >
> > The GCC project uses a very interesting tool for helping point out who
> > entered a bug in the compiler after doing a change.

> > Would it be possible to have a similar setup for GUMP? I know this
> > implies keeping track of information between builds, something that
> > GUMP doesn't do right now. But I think it will be very useful in
> > identifying what are the changes that break things, not only a
> > notification that things break.
>
> Alexandria used to have a blame function.  You can find it here:
>

>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-alexandria/src/java/org/apache/alexandria/blame/
>
> I wouldn't object to it being integrated into Gump (or centaven), but my
> experience by looking at cross project build errors for a long period of
> time is that it will rarely point the finger in the right direction.
> Accordingly, my goals over the past 18 months or so have been adjusted to
> merely see if I can motivate inter-project communication.
>
> For more details, see http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/nagged.html

Thanks for the pointers, I've looked at the blame function in
Alexandria.

I think is a good start, but IMO should be integrated not only with
the build process, but also with the automated test frameworks. The
changes that GUMP doesn't catch today are those related to testing,
when a small change in an algorithm breaks the behavior of other
modules. I've seen this with Avalon several times now, where changes
in Excalibur have subtle effects in Cocoon.

Of course for this to work we need to have good tests written using
common test frameworks. Which unfortunately is not the case with most
of the Apache projects today.

I'll take a look further to see what can be done in this respect.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>