On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> What you describe does indeed compile, but isn't the proposal. The following
> demonstrates (I hope) why they need to be package scoped.
>
> public class CollectionUtils {
>   public static Collection predicatedCollection(Collection coll) {
>     return new PredicatedCollection(coll);
>   }
>   static class PredicatedCollection {
>   }
> }
> public class ListUtils {
>   public static List predicatedList(List list) {
>     return new PredicatedList(list);
>   }
>   static class PredicatedList extends PredicatedCollection {
>   }
> }

got it... I thought I was missing something.  :) didn't realize you were
referring to cross-xxxUtils inheritance.  Yes, that would need to be
package private.  I'm not sure that is such a big deal though.

> > I haven't fully digested this thread yet, but I'm inclined to agree with
> > you.
>
> It is quite a lot to digest, but given the number of ideas that are floating
> about, we do seem to need it. There could be some work for the committers to
> manage the patches etc. for any renaming however!

yup...  believe me, I know...  I'm still trying to manage the patches
Paul sent in for the new testing framework...  :)

michael