On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, John Yu wrote:

> > >  > 4) Pair. Is this Collections? Dunno. Anyway, pairs seem to be nice
> > >  > sometimes. I only have one because I was porting the lisp examples
> > to Java
> > >  > from the lisp book [yep, i'm that sick].
> > >
> > > Isn't o.a.c.collections.DefaultMapEntry, fulfilling the role of Pair?
> >
> >Possibly, though it isn't semantically. Assuming there's a need for a Pair
> >class, using DefaultMapEntry would not fulfill it, even if the
> >functionality were the same.
> >
> >My vague view being that things can be syntactically the same but
> >semantically different.
>

> You lost me.
> Could you elaborate? What semantics you're referring to in Pair?

Erm.. pass? :)

I was hoping there might be a good Lisp fanatic or something with some
reasons for why a Pair object would be very useful. I seem to recall
reading someone's blog opining for a Pair class.

The semantic bit was... I think there are many places where someone would
like to use a Pair and not a DefaultMapEntry. ie) They're not dealing with
Map.Entry functionality.

[One of the dangerous parts of suggesting ideas you don't believe in a lot
yourself :) ] Similar for the Mutable-primitives. I often find a point in
code where I think, "wish I could set the Integer", but then I get around
it somehow without much effort.

Hen