I had the same issue with JDBCTransformTask last week for a task at work, so I started
writing MetadataReader in the io subpackage. I've committed the new class and some
additional properties and functionality to the model (Table, Column, and TypeMap). The
MetadataReader only deals with tables and columns in the first iteration since I
didn't have time at work, but the code is there and should be able to made to work
with a few tweaks, which I hope to get to this week unless somebody beats me to it :)

It also isn't an ant task yet since the clock was ticking and running it from the
command line was all I needed short-term.

This may not be the most appropriate way to go about achieving the separation but it
worked for me and there is at least a starting point.