On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:
> > I found a few things not yet mentioned:
> >
> > 1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which is
> > clearly a problem.
>
> Sorry, my fault. I can and will remove this, and will go back in my
> records for the email in which he gave me the acceptance to take the code.
> [I think he said it was public domain.]
>
> Will provide more info in a bit.

I do not believe we can attach a copyright and/or license to any public
domain code without getting into murky water.  Actually, I don't believe
*anyone* can attach a copyright to public domain code without getting
into murky water.  Actually, I don't even think that's murky.

The way I've understood discussion on reorg@apache, when we need answers
on whether things like this will cause problems, we send them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  So, if you want to keep the code (it's sandbox code
in a not-very-active component), dig up your documentation on where the
code originated and any circumstances surrounding it, and attach it to
an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] where you can ask whether its ok.  It'd
probably be nice to include an executive summary so that the board can
decipher what you're talking about a bit quicker.

regards,
michael