My mistake, I think.  I didn't notice before that I was getting a reject
on one of the files (relative to a fresh CVS checkout), so I was still
running the old version of NodeCachingLinkedList.

I'm running patch under cygwin on win98 right now, so maybe there is
something odd here.  I can try again later on other platforms, but
it'll have to wait until monday. sorry.