From: "Jason van Zyl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 09:45, James Strachan wrote:
> > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Before I forget....
> > >
> > > I've been able to get the maven reactor going if I remove the use of
the
> > > &commonDeps; entity.
> > >
> > > I've not found a way around this other than to copy the file into
another
> > > location, which is not a great answer.
> > >
> > > We can either 'fix' this issue by changing the maven reactor, or stop
> > > using the commonDeps, or ?.
> > >
> > > Personally I like the commonDeps.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Maybe we'd best add a 'dependency reuse' feature to Maven?
>
> It would be easy to do now. You tell me how you would like it to work
> and we'll go from there. All of the parent's dependencies? A labelled
> subset of the dependencies? Multiple labelled subsets? It easy to add
> things like this now.

Some kind of macro or include mechanism would be cool. So that there can be
a defined 'group' of dependencies that can be referenced. Then common sets
of dependencies could be defined in some common file.

I'd be tempted to say, just provide a way to inherit a parents
dependencies - my only concern is that dependencies currently include
compile dependencies, unit testing dependencies and any other dependencies
used by the build. Typically you only want just the compile dependencies to
be inherited. Maybe we could reuse the dependency 'type' attribute?

e.g. the following would be very cool...

    <dependencies>
        <inherit type="compile"/>
        <inherit type="test"/>
        <dependency>