--- robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 01:26 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> the second is that we're going to need to audit our implementations
> >> against copyrighted ones. (i'm hoping that some better qualified folks
> >> might volunteer for this.) if we find any that are too similar, then we
> >> should use apache development resources to create fresh clean room
> >> implementations.
> >
> > I don't understand exactly what you mean here.  It might be difficult to
> > find people with the combined legal and math skills to "audit" the code
> > for copyright infringement. What did you have in mind here?
>
> i'm not sure that legal skills are actually necessary. i have a couple of
> reasons for this:
>
> 1. once we've worked out collectively what we think is right, one of the
> committers will contact the ASF legal team and ask them to check that what
> we intend to do will offer sufficient protection to everyone.
>
> 2. it's not possible to have absolute protection against litigation on the
> wide world of the world wide web (are there any lawyers who know the law
> in every jurisdiction?). usually, acting responsibly and with due care is
> usually good enough.
>
> what i had in mind was people with knowledge of existing algorithms (like
> Al Chou and David Neuer) keeping an eye on the source and alerting us to
> anything that seems too similar to existing implementations. IMHO what
> would be ideal would be for volunteers to check our implementations
> against the most common copyrighted implementations to make sure they are
> not strikingly similar.

OK. I get it.  It may be difficult, however, to decide what qualifies as
"strikingly similar" and when we need to worry. I guess we will cross that
bridge when we come to it and hopefully it won't be too big of a distraction.
Hopefully as well, our reviewers (and ourselves) will also be verifying
correctness and stability -- making the whole thing a value-added activity :-)