--- Tim O'Brien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 14:55, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > what i had in mind was people with knowledge of existing algorithms (like
> > Al Chou and David Neuer) keeping an eye on the source and alerting us to
> > anything that seems too similar to existing implementations. IMHO what
> > would be ideal would be for volunteers to check our implementations
> > against the most common copyrighted implementations to make sure they are
> > not strikingly similar.
>
> In this spirit, I'm currently checking Gamma.java against NR in C, 2nd
> Edition.  (And I don't anticipate finding any infringement at all), but,
> in my mind, it is essential for each committer to have the
> responsibility of making sure all submitted code is original - checking
> an implementation against a copyrighted material with full disclosure
> from a contributor.  We're getting close to a policy here.

It's going to be impossible to know whether an implementation has infringed on
_any_ copyright (only the author of the implementation knows for sure whether
he or she used a copyrighted source as a reference and how they used it), but I
agree we should do what we can to avoid infringement.  I personally will tend
to recognize source code from NR, and anything that reads like Fortran should
be suspected of having been ported from an existing implementation, which
should prompt us to ask questions about the source.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou