Howdy,

>From "Java theory and practice: Urban performance legends"
>(http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-jtp04223.html?ca=dnt-4
16):

I'd read that when it was posted: it's a good and interesting article.
Thank you for sending the link anyways.  I agree with many of the points
made in the article.

>It's difficult to say why you're getting the results you're getting w/
out
>seeing the benchmark code. But as the above paragraph states, even w/
your

I tried attaching it as a .java file. I'll try again as a jar file which
contains the bytecode, source code, my system info, my JDK info, and
sample results.

>code, it'd be tough to say for sure why the graph is the way it is
w/out
>seeing the bytecode your particular compiler is generating and knowing
the
>details of the way the particular JVM you're using dynamically converts
>the bytecode to native code.

I agree.  So how would I ago about answering this "why" question?
Namely, "why is FastHashMap writing faster than java.util.HashMap
writing?"

>This isn't to say that the results aren't interesting, they're just not
>horribly meaningful on their own. It'd be interesting to see the code
and
>see the results of running the benchmark under a profiler to see where
>time was actually being spent, and running more than just 10 runs per
>object type.

I agree with both.  I will also run it on different operating systems to
see if the behavior is consistent.  I will post more information as time
permits.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.