That's right.  Certain routines perform their iterative computations until a
desired accuracy is achieved.  If the user doesn't explicitly state this
accuracy, what should it be?  A default error/accuracy constant would answer
that and provide uniform level of accuracy throughout the library.

Brent Worden
http://www.brent.worden.org