Here's a saying I've used in the past when debating colleagues: "Just
because someone else does something, that doesn't make it right." :)

Also, from a usage standpoint, if we use checked exceptions
> everywhere, this is a bit inconvenient for users.  We need to find the
> right balance.
>
> I am one the fence on this whole issue.  I am interested in hearing more
> about what others may have in mind.

The big problem I have with returning NaN is the caller has little knowledge
why NaN is being returned.  If an exception is thrown, preferably a
specialized exception like ConvergenceException, the caller knows precisely
the reason for failure and can take appropriate recovery action.

> Phil

Brent Worden
http://www.brent.worden.org