interesting problem...

"empty string" has a very clear meaning in java, it is a non null String
object of zero length.

Does the entrenched user base merit retaining a non standard naming
convention.

or is Empty sufficiently entrenched to also mean null? (I don't think it is)

I appreciate the dilemma but as a user would prefer it if the convention of
empty stayed as "" and only "". (but swallowing nulls and returning false id
just the ticket)

My 2 cents

Matt