        // from Mutable
        void setValue(Object)
        Object getValue()

        // from MutableNumber
        Number getNumber()
        void setNumber(Number)

        // Subclass specific
        setValue(int)

I was assuming that we wouldn't need a [int getIntValue()] method, since
it inherits [int intValue()] from java.lang.Number.  But do we need this
method, in order to be JavaBean compliant?

Also, instead of [Integer intNumber()], I was thinking
[Object getValue()] could be used, and casted to the corresponding type.
Do you think that the explicit object accessor is necessary?

I don't understand your suggestion about overflows, can you elaborate?