Tim Anderson wrote:

From: "Tim Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:30:44 +1000

Hi,
        I'm trying to get M2 running, but it looks like
there is no longer a nightly build of commons-collections
available which contains the primitive collections.
The relevant classes appear to have been moved into
jakarta-commons-sandbox/primitives.

Not exactly. The jakarta-commons sub-project has elected to split commons-collections into at least two JARs--one containing the object-based collections and one containing the primitive collections. Initially there were three JARs: commons-collections.jar, containing everything, and commons-collections-objects.jar and commons-collections-primitives.jar, containing the object based and primitive based collections, respectively.

Recently the nightly builds have been changed so that commons-collections.jar contains only the object based classes, so that -primitives is the only JAR that contains the primitive collections. Unfortunately, the nightly builds were not updated to actually publish the -primitives JAR anywhere, making a pre-built binary version is unavailable.

Personally, I strongly prefer having a single JAR containing org.apache.commons.collections.** available, but whether this is named commons-collections.jar, commons-collections-all.jar, or anything else reasonable isn't a signficant issue for me.

The sandbox primitives package is an alternative implementation of primitive collections and possibly more, but is not currently a replacement for org.apache.commons.collections.primitives.*. The 3.0 release of collections will contain the current primitive classes.

There is a SNAPSHOT version on ibiblio.org, but was
built in April.
Would it be possible for a datestamped snapshot version
of commons-collections containing the necessary classes
to be uploaded to ibiblio.org?

If the snapshot currently on ibiblio doesn't contain all the requistite classes I'll be happy to lobby the maven folks to upload something that will, but I believe the ibiblio snapshot is sufficient.

In the interim, a hand-rolled build of commons-collections (either maven or Ant should be OK) should contain the primitive collections in one JAR or another. If I get some time today, I'll try to make a build available somewhere, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it terribly soon.

Thanks,

Tim

- Rod

PS: Note I'm cross-posting this to both [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED], as I think the commons-dev team should be aware of this issue.