I guess the short answer is.. if Tyrex was thought to be a good starting
point, this is how Tyrex does it.
http://tyrex.sourceforge.net/api/tyrex/services/Clock.html (Same for OpenJMS
http://openjms.sourceforge.net/xref/org/exolab/jms/util/Clock.html)

More on the clock issue:
System.currentTimeMillis has some resolution issues in different jvm's and
OS's. That's the rationale behind this clock.
>From JavaWorld article;
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2003-01/01-qa-0110-timing.html
"Java developers on Linux enjoy 1-millisecond (ms) resolution, while Windows
98 users suffer with 50-ms resolution. In most cases, the actual resolution
has nothing to do with the fact that System.currenTimeMillis()'s return
value is current time in milliseconds." Also a MAC vm bug:
http://developer.apple.com/qa/java/java20.html

I agree within containers that forbid thread creation shouldn't be counted
out.
What if we had something like this:

Uuid       -    Class representing a UUID. The recent post about kennewick
                is a good start for this class I think. Thanks Jorg.
UuidGen    -    Generates UUIDs, one can ask for a version 1, 2, 3, or 4.
                Additionally, the default "clock" can be the
System.currentTimeMillis,
                but a setClock method provided. If currentTimeMillis
                is used then the CLOCK_SEQUENCE should be reset each call
b/c essentially
                one can assume the time didn't move forward as it should.
UuidClock -        Interface
UuidThreadClock -  Gives the artifical time based on thread clock
UuidSystemClock -  Gives the artifical time based on system clock
UuidFactory -      Attempts to create the best Uuid for the system.