+1 for Matthew Harthrone's post.

The board installed the Apache Commons with the charter "creation and maintenance of open-source software related to reusable libraries and components"

<http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_09_18.txt>

and it was later affirmed that the AC is language agnostic.

IMHO, if we want to be good Apache citizens, then we should embrace the AC community. Many of our products could be made available in other languages, expanding on the idea of common components.

Meanwhile, if more of us who joined the ASF through Jakarta are "rubbing elbows" with Apaches who entered through other projects, then there is a much better chance for Darwin to decide which aspects of the "Jakarta Way" and "Apache Way" should prevail.

The very best place to do that would be an Apache Commons, where we can all serve together on a PMC with a clear and common goal.

I would not oppose JC as a TLP, but in that case, we remain insular. If we join AC, then we take the first step toward creating a Unified Way.

-Ted.

__matthewHawthorne wrote:
I'm fairly new to the Apache scene, but I think I like the idea. I think that Jakarta Commons is buried down deeper than it should be. Some of the projects such as [digester] and [jxpath] are so gosh darn useful that they deserve to be in a more visible space.

However, I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion about Jakarta Commons becoming top level, and then being joined by Apache Commons. I think it should be the other way around -- Jakarta Commons projects should become Apache Commons projects.

But in a sense, it can all seem redundant. If Apache Commons then has projects for all languages, there would need to be at least a small w
separation of projects by language, if only for web site listing, or coding standards, etc. So, there would be a Java branch of Apache Commons -- which is kind of what Jakarta was in the first place, Apache's Java project, right?

So, my point is, I agree that Jakarta Commons might benefit in being higher up. I'm surprised that Struts isn't a top level project already, but if it were to be, then that would be another top level project that depends on JC -- which doesn't quite fit with the charter.

Although, as I just mentioned, the language issues still confuse me.