On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Personally, I do not care.

Gary, no need to feel bad about raising the issue.

I've had the same reservations, OS projects should try to encourage other
OS projects.  On the other hand, although Jira is commercial Atlassian is
a very "open"  company both in terms of process and planning.  They offer
a free license to open source projects, and (most important to me) they
have a product that is very usable.

> In the long term, here is what I am worried about (keep the tomates at bay
> SVP ;-), I 'm just talkin' here: OS projects like ours use Clover and JIRA
> and who knows what other NON-OS projects in the future. Clover rocks, JIRA
> is pretty and all. Users and developers like us learn these systems, new
> users and developers do NOT learn the OS Bugzilla and others, the OS
> versions get less and less feedback and slowly die. When it is time to show
> up at work and propose a tool and I say I know Clover and JIRA real good and
> the boss says "how much", I say $X and "no there is no OS alternatives,
> there use to be, but they died a long time again 'cuz some companies got
> really clever and offered their stuff for free to OS projects".
>
> Ducking being my desk,
> Gary
>
> PS: Yes, yes, why not use the best tools out there and reward them with our
> attentions, survival of the fittest and all that. Gg.

Tim O'Brien
Evanston, IL
(847) 863-7045
[EMAIL PROTECTED]